20200719 - Unit 3 - Travel and Adventure - Quick Overview (Vocab + Useful Language)

USEFUL LANGUAGE

- Paraphrasing and summarising

What happens next? Or, to put it another way, when will Solar Wind 2 be published?
All things considered, I think my first and last radio interview ...
And basically, in a nutshell, a group of explorers ...
... populated by people, that is to say, aliens!
I was planning a trip but, well, to cut a long story short, I had to cancel it.
So, in other words, it all just came from your imagination then.
What I meant by that was you are not allowed to give any dates yet?

- Inversions after negative or restrictive adverbials

None
Not a penny would they give to charity.
Not one bite did he eat.
Not a single person did I meet while there.
Never / Not any more
At no time did we think the project would fail.
Never before have I felt so angry.
No longer can we go on like this.
Not in a thousand years will I visit your mum again.
Not in a month of Sundays would I want to go to the cinema with you.
Not once did they offer to help.
Never again will I say another word at work meetings.
Too much / (not) enough
Too often do we see people struggling to make ends meet.
Too long have we been waiting for a presidential election.
Immediately / Only just
No sooner had one game finished than another began.
Barely had we got over the flu when then Covid-19 pandemic started.
Hardly had the memo been out than the management changed track.
Scarcely had we had time to meet than we were separated again.
One place / time / person, etc.
Only in the capital did we feel truly at home.
Only in the summer was it possible to open the windows.
Only with you was I ever my true self.
Only after / at a certain time
Not until his return did we appreciate how much had we missed him.
Only when the music stopped did people start to go home.
Then and only then did the people feel safe again.
Addition
Not only is she young, she is inexperienced!
Unusual
Rarely do you find someone like that.
Seldom do we stop to appreciate nature in its full glory.
Impossible / Prohibited
Under no circumstances are you allowed to laugh at me.
On no account can you bring food from outside.
No way can I forget what my eyes saw that day.
Unexpected
Little did she know she was going to run for president later in her life.
Little did I know what awaited me at the other side of that door.


VOCABULARY

- Wealth ad poverty

hardship
impoverished
affluent
prosperity
make ends meet
well off
disposable income
deprived
live within one's means
destitute

- Landscape features

dense
untouched
swamp
meadow
wooded
rocky
the mouth of a cave
rugged
sheer
cliff face
arid
sand dune
canopy
tropical paradise
pristine
marsh
moorland
sand dunes
dense undergrowth
bog

No comments:

Post a Comment