20200721 - Unit 4 - Consciousness - Quick Overview (Vocab + Useful Language)

USEFUL LANGUAGE

- Being tactful in formal discussions

Well, if you don't mind me saying so, it was like trying to get blood out of a stone.
I see where you are coming from, but I think we are forgetting something here.
Look, don't take this personally, I am just trying to be constructive here.
I do take your point, but I am not sure what else I could have done.
I beg to differ, there is always a way.
No offence intended, but I could not understand your line of questioning.
With all due respect, I don't think you are in a position to offer criticism.
And I mean that in the nicest possible way.
I'm afraid I have to say it will be a disaster
That is not the way I see it, there were several ways to avoid the conflict.


- get passives / have passives

- get passives like be passives
Sandra got kicked by a horse.
I got made redundant yesterday.
- get passives with reflexive pronoun
He got himself arrested again.
Are you trying to get yourself killed?
She has managed to get herself promoted again!
- have + object + past participle (subject active or passive)
I had my bag searched at the airport. (I = passive role)
Little baby Alice had her first photo taken yesterday. (Alice = passive role)
We will have the window fixed by tomorrow. (We = active role)
- get + object + past participle (subject usually active)
I got my bike stolen again.
He gets his apartment cleaned every week.
- get + object + past participle (completing an activity)
I have not managed to get the paperwork finished.
We can't go until we have got the car fixed.
- get + object + past participle (by somebody else)
I want to get my ears pierced.
I have to get my hair cut soon.
Get your car checked here!
- having / getting + object + past participle
Having / Getting the walls painted is number one in the list.
- have / get + object + verb + -ing
What you said yesterday had / got me thinking about my life. 
The music will soon get / have everyone dancing away.
- have + object + infinitive
Management has us clean our desks of paper every night.
Our teacher had us call him 'Sir'.
- get + object + to + infinitive
My girlfriend got me to take her shopping on Sunday.
You are getting me to do things I don't really want to do.



VOCABULARY

- Instinct and reason

rational
objective
think logically
on impulse
on a whim
spontaneous decision
subconsciously
deep down
weigh up
consider
gut instinct
have a hunch
think twice
think over
sensitive
sensible
money-conscious
conscientious
self-conscious
self confident


- Memory

a vague memory
a faint memory
a painful memory
a vivid memory
a photographic memory
a lasting memory
a distant memory
vaguely remember
come to mind
trigger a memory
cast one's mind back
treasure the memory
slip one's mind
refresh one's memory

No comments:

Post a Comment