20191027

Sunday.
Haven't blogged since the 21st, six days ago. That is just terrible of me!

Over the classes this week we finished Unit 1 from the book.
The overarching theme of the lesson was imprecision ... although I am sure there is a better way of putting it.
Agreement and disagreement degrees, vagueness, understatement, nuances, even the use of the perfect tense of verbs, were all studied in this unit and it made for a very interesting learning experience. Yes, we can all speak English now, so it is high time we start being flexible with it. Less talking in absolutes and more expressing relative thoughts. Relative to whomever else might be in the conversation.

On Thursday I went again to Ribeira and met with some English assistant teachers. It is so nice to have a proper conversation in English; I really wish it was a daily occurrence.
I met Esther from Houston, Texas; she teaches at two schools in Boiro. I also met Clarissa, from the UK; she teaches in Ribeira. Clarissa brought along her little daughter Athena. Such a lovely name in my opinion.
Also there were Madeleine and DeVaughn, from Minnesota and Texas respectively, if my memory serves me well. Both I had met the previous Thursday.
And, of course, Pepe was there too!

And that is that about Thursday.

Today ... Binomial pairs ... one of those things one does not know one already knows, if that makes sense.
I have learnt that they are short expressions that are incredibly common in English. I have used them before countless times, and never even knew they were a thing or had a name.
Examples:

first and foremost
time and time again
loud and clear
part and parcel
sooner or later
little by little
step by step
good and proper
give or take
short and sweet
hustle and bustle
now or never
take it or leave it
rise and shine
flesh and blood
sink or swim
sick and tired

and hundreds, possibly thousands more! Live and learn!


No comments:

Post a Comment