20200802 - Unit 5 - Fairness - Quick Overview (Vocab + Useful Language)

USEFUL LANGUAGE

- Recall and speculate

You are staying with Emma at the moment, if my memory serves me correctly? (recall)
I was under the impression that you were writing another book? (recall)
I think I remember Emma saying that her boyfriend's a technician at City FM. (recall)
What stands out in my mind most is that that interview was a total disaster. (recall)
I'd hazard a guess that he hadn't even read my book. (speculate)
Presumably, you are a technician, like Emma's boyfriend, right? (speculate)
No doubt you heard that from that guy from the radio interview. (speculate)
Suppose you'd known, would you still have agreed to meet with me? (speculate)


- Relative clauses: defining and non-defining

Defining relative clauses are essential to the meaning of the phrase.
  I'm getting really worried about the beak-ins that have been happening in this area.
  This isn't the type of place that burglaries normally happen in.
  Do you own the car that is parked over there?

Non-defining relative clauses are not essential, they give us additional information about nouns.
  The last one was at Mr Acosta's house, which is only two streets away from here.
  That's why it's been so upsetting for my neighbours, who are mostly young families.
  Graham is late, which is typical of him!


- Willingness, obligation and necessity

We use must and have to to say what is necessary. Must only refers to the present or future.
  I will have to get some more qualifications soon.
  I must get some more qualifications soon.
  Irene had to go to the hospital.

We use have got + to + infinitive to describe what is necessary, especially arrangements.
  My boss said I've got to be in the office at 8 am

We usually use must when we decide what is necessary and have to when other people decide.
  I must tell you what I heard on the news earlier.
  I finished that. What do I have to do next?

We use should and ought to say what is the right thing to do.
  I ought to organise my time better.
  You shouldn't do unpaid overtime.

We use had better + infinitive in advice or threats.
  She'd better see a doctor today.
  You'd better be early tomorrow!

We can use be supposed + to + infinitive to say what is necessary according to rules or instructions.
  Your manager is supposed to authorise that sale.
  I was supposed to read the book by tomorrow, but ran out of time.


Other phrases for obligation / no obligation. All of them followed by to + infinitive.
need to
don't need to
needn't
have no choice but
be allowed
be expected
be free
be required
be advisable
be permitted
be forbidden
be essential
be obliged
be under obligation
be under no obligation


All the following can indicate willingness / non-willingness

will + infinitive
  Richard won't work for such low salary.
can + infinitive
  I can work on Saturday if you give me Monday off.
be happy / willing + to + infinitive
  I would be happy to help you!
be prepared + to + infinitive / for + noun
  She wasn't prepared for that amount of paperwork.
have no objection to verb + -ing / noun
  The workforce had no objection to taking a paycut.
have nothing against verb + -ing / noun
  I have nothing against working with the new manager.
  I have nothing against the new manager.
have no problem with verb + -ing / noun
  My son has no problem with traveling that far to work.




VOCABULARY

- Crime and justice

assault
tax evasion
fraud
corruption
on suspicion of
allegation
in custody
be convicted of
evidence
testimony
plead guilty
be found guilty
imprisonment
community service
serve a sentence
solitary confiment


- Employment

sector
financial
agricultural
construction
the public sector
manufacturing
transport
energy
industrial
retail
import
record
export
contract

No comments:

Post a Comment