20200810 - Unit 6 - Perspectives - Quick Overview (Vocab + Useful Language)

 USEFUL LANGUAGE


- Organise a presentation

My focus today is on this second interview.
Let me talk (take) you through why our listeners want to hear more ...
First and foremost, he wrote his book from a bench ...
One thing is clear, Max Redwood is on the road to ...
Turning now to the focus of the interview ...
More specifically, I propose to find out ...
So to recap on what I have been saying, ...
If you would like me to elaborate on anything I've just said ...


- Participle clauses

We use participle clauses to add more information to a sentence.
  Hiding behind the bushes, I held my breath.
  The stranger staggered into the bar, shaking and covered in snow.

Participle clauses after nouns.
  We found the wallet lying on the ditch by the road. (continuous verb)
  Everyone directly affected by the fire was told to leave their homes. (passive verb)

Participle clauses as adverbials. Used in formal language and writing.
  Approaching a junction, I noticed a car making an illegal manoeuvre.
  Stopping for a break, we decided what to do next.
  Left to my own devices, I probably would.
  Frightened by his own actions, he left town and never returned.
  Using my Swiss Army knife, I opened the box.
  


VOCABULARY

- Adjectives: Describing images

playful
gritty
powerful
humorous
elaborate
repetitive
meaningful
raw
evocative
iconic
observant
nonsensical
cluttered
sensational
bleak
flawless


- Emotions

disillusioned
protective
over-excited
satisfied
gleeful
devastated
frustrated
restless
jealous
insecure
speechless
ashamed
petrified
helpless

No comments:

Post a Comment