20200823 - Unit 8 - Body and Health - Quick Overview (Vocab + Useful Language)

USEFUL LANGUAGE


- Negotiate

There's just the issue of how much you would like for it.
I am open to suggestions.
Well, how much would you be willing to pay?
Oh, I think we would be prepared to offer, say, two fifty?
Would that be a fair suggestion?
Could you see your way to increasing that a little?
How flexible can you be on that?
I was kind of hoping for something in the region of five hundred.
No, out of the question. I am not authorised to offer any more.
It's worth much more than that.
What would you say to three fifty?
Is that your best offer? I am not prepared to accept anything less than ...


- Real and unreal conditionals

In real conditionals there is no change of use of verb forms. We use present tenses in the if clause.
  If I want a snack, I have one.
  She will recover quickly if her temperature goes down.

In unreal conditionals we show that a situation is hypothetical by changing the verb forms back one tense.
  If it wasn't raining, I would go out somewhere.
  If it were my choice, we would go to the opera.
  Megan wouldn't have missed her plane if she hadn't lost her passport.
  The car would have gone off the road if he had been driving any faster.

Other conjunctions (other than if, that is)
  You can borrow my shirt as long as you don't get it dirty!
  You can borrow my car on condition that you return it cleaner than it is.
  The negotiations would have failed but for my intervention.
  The goods will be ready providing you give us enough notice.
  Provided that you repay it by next month, I will lend you the money.
  Suppose you had all the money in the world, what would you buy first?
  Imagine there were no stars in the sky at night. What would that mean?
  Let's meet on Monday, assuming everyone can make it.
  Supposing the exams were cancelled in September, how would that affect us?
  Write down the number just in case we forget it.
  In case of emergency, duck and cover.
  I should do some more studying, otherwise my grade will be lower than the mock exam.
  I didn't know you were coming, otherwise I would have ordered a coffee for you.



VOCABULARY

- Sleep

nap
fast asleep
wide awake
drift off
light sleeper
restless
sleep like a log
not sleep a wing
toss and turn
oversleep
insomnia
drop off


- Ageing and health

complexion
saggy
wrinkles
freckles
rash
blotches
acne
show one's age
yellowing
heart trouble
circulation
injection
cardio(vascular) exercise
thinning
receding hairline
plastic surgery
arthritis

No comments:

Post a Comment