20191116

Vocabulary Unit 21
Going to extremes

2A 2f Language in context - Sounds

Eerie
  strange and mysterious and a bit frightening
Deafening
  so loud you can't hear anything
Hammering
  to make a sound by repeatedly hitting something hard
Whining
  to complain in a high, unpleasant voice
Gurgle
  the sound an empty stomach makes
Roar
  a long, loud, deep noise
Thump
  the sound of a heartbeat
Whisper
  the sound made by using only a soft breath to speak
Decibels
  units to measure sound loudness

2A 5a Vocabulary - Multi-word verbs: Social interaction

Fitting in
  "Talking is a way of fitting in, y'know, a way of showing that we belong to a social group"
Come across
  "How would I come across to other people?"
Cut off
  "... people go into some kind of retreat to cut themselves off from the world"
Slip out
  "... when someone held a door open for me and a little 'thank you' slipped out"
Relate to
  "The most interesting thing was the way other people related to me"
Bombard with
  "She bombarded me with questions"
Go on about
  "He always goes on about something when I go and see him"
Run down
  "He usually likes to run down some politician or other"
Bring out
  "... my silence brought out the best in people"
Hold back
  "I wanted to, but I had to hold myself back"

2B 3a Vocabulary - Verbs of movement

Soaring
  "you'll go soaring inside a vertical wind tunnel"
Whizzing
  "whizzing over ski slopes"
Rolling
  "rolling downhill at great speed"
Zooming
  "prepare to zoom down a steep slope"
Plunging
  "plunging 18000 feet through the air"
Hurtling
  "hurtling down a volcanic slope"
Whooshing
  "whooshing down whitewater rapids"










... tbc



No comments:

Post a Comment